Golf Arizona Forum
Oops! It does not look like you are logged in.

Please note: This is a Completely Free Forum
Golf Arizona Forum
Oops! It does not look like you are logged in.

Please note: This is a Completely Free Forum
Golf Arizona Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Arizona Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Golf Clubs Advice

Go down 
+2
Twiddly
Monte
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Monte

Monte

REP : 1

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyTue May 21, 2013 12:37 pm

I have been golfing for quite a few years now, but never really taken it seriously. I've only played with clones and hand me downs, but now I am looking to buy a set that I can be proud of and also help improve my game. My question is do I look for clubs that are more forgiving or get a regular set and work on my game? When hitting my irons the ball automatically comes off the tee to the right and usually have to adjust my aim to about 45 degrees to the left and then it goes towards the hole. What do you guys think? I've taken lessons and I was told that my swing is not that bad, that I just have to go out and play more often.
Back to top Go down
Twiddly

Twiddly

REP : 5

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyTue May 21, 2013 9:30 pm

MONTY wrote:
I have been golfing for quite a few years now, but never really taken it seriously. I've only played with clones and hand me downs, but now I am looking to buy a set that I can be proud of and also help improve my game. My question is do I look for clubs that are more forgiving or get a regular set and work on my game? When hitting my irons the ball automatically comes off the tee to the right and usually have to adjust my aim to about 45 degrees to the left and then it goes towards the hole. What do you guys think? I've taken lessons and I was told that my swing is not that bad, that I just have to go out and play more often.

I hope you didn't pay for that lesson if all he/she said was go play more...

There are so many different club types out there to choice from it could make your head dizzy for hours. I would suggest going with a game improvement iron/fair wood/ driver set. You can work on every aspect of your game with a game improvement set just as a you can with a player type set. But, if you dont have the hands to play with a player set you most likely not have fun golfing anymore

Go check out and try to hit as many different brands that's you can. Find something you like.
Back to top Go down
Monte

Monte

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:13 am

Twiddly wrote:
MONTY wrote:

I hope you didn't pay for that lesson if all he/she said was go play more...

There are so many different club types out there to choice from it could make your head dizzy for hours. I would suggest going with a game improvement iron/fair wood/ driver set. You can work on every aspect of your game with a game improvement set just as a you can with a player type set. But, if you dont have the hands to play with a player set you most likely not have fun golfing anymore

Go check out and try to hit as many different brands that's you can. Find something you like.

Lol! He did give more tips that have improved my game and analyzed my swing more in depth. I stopped at Van's last night and tested some irons. I liked the Ping G25 and Callaway X Hot. Going back today to try the G20's and Cobra Amp irons. What they told me was if my plans do not include joining the PGA Tour, then get a set that are more forgiving and would improve my game. Thanks for your input Twiddly!
Back to top Go down
Golfhub66

Golfhub66

REP : 2

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:35 pm

Check out the Cleveland 588 line as well. You can do a combo set and eat hybrids for your long irons, cavity backs for your short irons and thin soles on the scoring irons. Best way to get the most out of your iron set. Even the pros are doing this for more control and effortless distance. If you have any questions about the line shoot me a pm. I'm a rep for Cleveland.
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfhub.com
Golfarizona
Admin
Golfarizona

REP : 4

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:26 pm

I totally agree with golfhub. Get a progressive set. If you look at my sig you can see I play both g20's and I20's. my Gs are in my Longer and Mid Irons and I play the I's in my shorter scoring irons

As much as I wouldn't want to admit it because I'm not a huge Taylormade fan when in comes to there irons they do have some pretty good and VERY forgiving irons set. Or check out an Adams set. (Golfhub works for cleveland so I thought I'd plug a few other brands out there to give him a hard time. But......you could ask him maybe he could help you out with a set.)

Dont be affraid to throw a couple hybrids in place of a few irons. As you get better and feel more confident you can replace them with irons as you go.
Back to top Go down
https://golfarizona.forumotion.com
Golfhub66

Golfhub66

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyWed May 22, 2013 10:51 pm

Haha. Lay it on! I really like the ping irons, a lot. I'm still on the hunt for a set of the old i3 blades. The new stuff is fantastic but at the top of the price charts when it comes to the big 6. TM, titleist, ping, cleveland, Adams, Bridgestone. The Adams and the Cleveland are going to be the cheapest, then Bridgestone, titeist and ping.

Quality is all relevant. You should always take your irons in to get your angles checked, even if you ordered custom from the factory. Their bending techniques are very crude and they only go to 80% accuracy before they call it good.

There are some seriously expensive Japanese forged stuff but your have to get it for free or just want to waste your money if your getting that stuff. Honma Burres. Look them up. $5000+ for cast irons! The shafts are hand rolled though. You have to be an apprentice for 10 years before you can touch a shaft! Serious business.

Just get what you like and try not to pay retail. That's my motto! I just ordered a combo set of 588s for a student of mine. Hybrid 3,4,5, Mid Tracj. 6,7,8 Tour traj. 9, pw. $628 shipped.
Back to top Go down
Monte

Monte

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyThu May 23, 2013 9:02 am

Golfhub66 wrote:
Haha. Lay it on! I really like the ping irons, a lot. I'm still on the hunt for a set of the old i3 blades. The new stuff is fantastic but at the top of the price charts when it comes to the big 6. TM, titleist, ping, cleveland, Adams, Bridgestone. The Adams and the Cleveland are going to be the cheapest, then Bridgestone, titeist and ping.

Quality is all relevant. You should always take your irons in to get your angles checked, even if you ordered custom from the factory. Their bending techniques are very crude and they only go to 80% accuracy before they call it good.

There are some seriously expensive Japanese forged stuff but your have to get it for free or just want to waste your money if your getting that stuff. Honma Burres. Look them up. $5000+ for cast irons! The shafts are hand rolled though. You have to be an apprentice for 10 years before you can touch a shaft! Serious business.

Just get what you like and try not to pay retail. That's my motto! I just ordered a combo set of 588s for a student of mine. Hybrid 3,4,5, Mid Tracj. 6,7,8 Tour traj. 9, pw. $628 shipped.

Thanks! I will look into the 588 line. I like th prices alot better than the Ping's, I just don't know too much about the brand as with other brands. What do you think of the CG7's?
Back to top Go down
Golfhub66

Golfhub66

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyThu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Cg7s were quality irons when they came out. Dynamic sole grind makes them "bounce" through the impact zone for easier contact and trajectory. They have been out for over 10 years so finding a set in good shape is going to be tough. Bending of the hosel is also touchy. Very hard metals used back then and can break easily.

If your looking for a used set look into the cg16, cg16 tour. The tour has a little smaller sole and a longer hosel. If you require loft and lie adjustments, the tour had a longer hosel for that. If your "standard" the cg16 is good to go.

Remember, every manufacturer has their own set of specs. The cg16 set is +1/2 inch over the others standard lengths as their "standard."
Back to top Go down
Monte

Monte

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: New Pings   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyFri May 24, 2013 3:29 pm

Okay, so I splurged today and bought the Ping G20's and added a Sand wedge. $412.00 for the set and $60 for the Sand Wedge. Now I need to get my arse out there to practice. Thanks for all your help.
Back to top Go down
Golfhub66

Golfhub66

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyFri May 24, 2013 3:47 pm

MONTY wrote:
Okay, so I splurged today and bought the Ping G20's and added a Sand wedge. $412.00 for the set and $60 for the Sand Wedge. Now I need to get my arse out there to practice. Thanks for all your help.

Nice Deal! When you get your swing to a repeatable stage, take your new sticks over to the ping factory for a free fitting! They will put you on their launch monitors and do any bending or repairs for free while you wait. Great service that not alot of people know about. You can take any ping clubs to the factory for free fittings.
Back to top Go down
Monte

Monte

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyFri May 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Golfhub66 wrote:
MONTY wrote:

Nice Deal! When you get your swing to a repeatable stage, take your new sticks over to the ping factory for a free fitting! They will put you on their launch monitors and do any bending or repairs for free while you wait. Great service that not alot of people know about. You can take any ping clubs to the factory for free fittings.

WOW! Now that's what I call a great tip. Thank You!
Back to top Go down
Golfarizona
Admin
Golfarizona

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyFri May 24, 2013 9:53 pm

Oh ya! Ping is great. The last time I was there I spent like almost 2 hours screwing around with a shaft for a 3 wood and bullshitting with the guy I was working with.

It usually takes about 2-3 hours for them to bend/adjust your clubs once you have gotten everything dialed in.

They are located on about 19th ave I between cactus and Peoria....I think
Back to top Go down
mrw3334
Admin
mrw3334

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptySun May 26, 2013 6:26 pm

I got to meet AJ at Golfsmith today, very nice guy and knows what hes talking about. Fixed my driver for me. Everyone go see him if they need any help with anything. Hes not a douche like most Golfsmith employees.
Back to top Go down
Golfhub66

Golfhub66

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptySun May 26, 2013 7:05 pm

mrw3334 wrote:
I got to meet AJ at Golfsmith today, very nice guy and knows what hes talking about. Fixed my driver for me. Everyone go see him if they need any help with anything. Hes not a douche like most Golfsmith employees.

Which golfsmith location?
Back to top Go down
mrw3334
Admin
mrw3334

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptySun May 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Golfhub66 wrote:
mrw3334 wrote:

Which golfsmith location?

AJ is at the Peoria location, call first if you plan on going in there. He said hes filling in for someone on vacation right now.
Back to top Go down
Twiddly

Twiddly

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptySun May 26, 2013 8:59 pm

That's store in NICE. Way better than the old location
Back to top Go down
Monte

Monte

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyWed May 29, 2013 10:12 am

I am so stoked! I played my best round this weekend! Now I have to work on my swing.
Back to top Go down
Golfhub66

Golfhub66

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyWed May 29, 2013 10:51 am

MONTY wrote:
I am so stoked! I played my best round this weekend! Now I have to work on my swing.

Congrats! Now you just have to play more and get to know your weapons.
Back to top Go down
Monte

Monte

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyWed May 29, 2013 10:59 am

Golfhub66 wrote:
MONTY wrote:

Congrats! Now you just have to play more and get to know your weapons.

My next outing will be Knollwood in Granada Hills Ca. I played there 23 years ago for my first time ever on a course but got kicked off for sneaking on without paying.
Back to top Go down
Golfarizona
Admin
Golfarizona

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyWed May 29, 2013 9:06 pm

When are you playing?
Back to top Go down
Monte

Monte

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyThu May 30, 2013 10:21 am

Golfarizona wrote:
When are you playing?

7 AM Saturday morning.
Back to top Go down
Golfarizona
Admin
Golfarizona

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyFri May 31, 2013 3:49 pm

Nice. Let us know how it went. Don't be affraid to write a review
Back to top Go down
aj1963

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 5:44 pm

mrw3334 wrote:
 OMG, I'm getting verclempt,  talk amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic, A guy goes to the golf course by himself and gets a hole in one and nobody knows it. Oh wait, that was me today. cheers Thanks for coming in mrw3334, a letting me work on your club. If any one needs any service or buying advice, come see me.
Back to top Go down
aj1963

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 5:51 pm

MONTY wrote:
Great purchase on the G-20s, if you got the G-20 SW, be careful not to lay it open too much in the sand, it has a very high effective bounce. The sole is pretty wide and raises the leading edge up a lot. The Ping Gorge tour wedge with the SS or TS sole would be a better alternative for play in the Phoenix area.
Back to top Go down
Golfarizona
Admin
Golfarizona

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 9:30 pm

aj1963 wrote:
mrw3334 wrote:
 OMG, I'm getting verclempt,  talk amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic, A guy goes to the golf course by himself and gets a hole in one and nobody knows it. Oh wait, that was me today. cheers Thanks for coming in mrw3334, a letting me work on your club. If any one needs any service or buying advice, come see me.

Nice! Did he finally get that 3 wood reshafted?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Golf Clubs Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Clubs Advice   Golf Clubs Advice Empty

Back to top Go down

Golf Clubs Advice
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next